Sunday, April 21, 2013

A New Day

As Spring 6FIT  with DanceFIT Studio kicks off tonight and tomorrow, I can't help but feel very grateful for a happy, active, positive 6 weeks ahead.  It has been an emotional roller coaster of a week here in our beloved city of Boston and all over the nation really.  There is no sense in getting into during this post because I could go on and on, but as I start to have a sense of closure and my paranoia goes away, I will continue to pray for the families who are still grieving, healing and struggling and pray for a peaceful future for all of us.

Ok friends...so HERE WE GO!  Week 1 is finally here.  This happens to be one of my favorites.  Cardio, Kale and Water.  This is going to be my final week as a stay at home mama...I was offered and accepted a great position last week.  That said, I have this whole week to get out and run, hike, walk, climb.  Personally, I am going to be logging miles for Miles For Boston and #runforboston over the next week.  
I am also going to take my kids for a hike in town, we are going to take a trip into the city, and we are going to try and concur a 180 elevation hill near our house.  We went up it last week and I honestly didn't think I was going to make it.  Pushing 80lbs of kid and stroller was a feat in itself and I don't think Run Keeper took that into account when calculating my calories burned! Speaking of Run Keeper- I highly recommend it!  You can make a friends list, etc.  it is wonderful.  It also reminds you to get you behind moving when you haven't logged in, in a couple days...!

Kale.  I have blogged about kale before.  I used to hate it...like literally couldn't swallow it.  Today it is one of my DAILY staples.  I eat it for breakfast a lot.  I usually just saute it in olive oil, add salt and pepper and for some spice, a sprinkle of cayenne.  Scramble with eggs or make an omelet.  If I eat kale for lunch I saute, roast a lot of veggies (I usually roast enough veggies for 3 meals), grill tofu and mix it all together.  Delish.  In the winter, I put it in soups.  Smoothies with kale are really good, although you need to get a good balance of kale vs fruit.  I use kale, almond milk, ice, a banana and frozen berries.  A plus is that my 2 year old daughter loves this smoothie and thinks it is a treat! Ha!  Have her good and fooled.     

Water!  Water week is not too difficult for me...besides maybe cutting out the wine :)  I do not drink anything except water ever.  I have previously blogged about water tips, but in case you missed it, but #1 tip is to get a great water bottle, keep it with you and refill when it's empty.  For those of you who have trouble with water, the good news is that it's spring and I personally find it easier to get water down when it's warmer.  There are a lot of great ideas out there to naturally flavor water as well.  Berries, mint, cucumber and the old staple- lemon or lime are all great options.  Have a Pinterest account?  There are hundreds of water "recipes" on there.  

Good luck to everyone this first week.  If there is one thing I have learned from my past 6FITs, is that even though we all on separate teams, we are are really on one big team.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, vent, share bad days and good days.  No one judges.  Everyone sympathizes, gives advice and provides motivation to get you back on track.  





No comments:

Post a Comment