Friday, March 29, 2013

Body Image and Reality

I have had two babies in under two years, and for those of you who don't know, being pregnant changes your body in a lot of different ways.  Some good, some bad.  Personally, I didn't exactly enjoy being pregnant and all the changes that came with it.  Especially towards the end, I just wanted my body back.  About a year after my first child was born (yes, I waited that long), I started working out, got strong, lost weight, felt a bit more back to my old self.  Then I got pregnant again.  Repeat.  I worked out until 30 weeks with my son until my doctor advised me to stop and rest for the remainder of my pregnancy.  About 5 weeks postpartum I was itching to get back into a healthy routine.  I started back with my virtual skype classes with DanceFIT Studio a few nights a week and then amped it up when 6FIT started in February.

After 6FIT was over, I was feeling good, feeling healthy and had lost about 5 pounds and 11 total inches.  Not too shabby, if you ask me.  Then someone on Facebook posted a picture of Giselle (we all know which Giselle I am talking about), about 3 months postpartum with her 2nd child, on the beach in a bikini...WEARING AN ERGO.  In case anyone was wondering, she had 0 muffin top, meanwhile my Ergo waist strap is almost at full extension.  I am only human and my first emotion was discouragement.  What have I been working so hard for when I have people like that to live up to?  Ugh.

I take to Facebook (duh).  "Blah blah blah, Gisele with an Ergo, no fat, perfect as always, blah blah blah."  I might just have amazing friends, but the responses I got were so sweet and uplifting and REAL.  Here's a summary:

  • Gisele's body is her money maker.  Her lively hood (well, besides her superstar, millionaire, quarterback husband).  She actually gets paid to look like that.  
  • She has nannies, cooks, housekeepers
  • She has personal trainers 
  • She is able to spend lots and lots and lots of time in the gym
My husband said the exact same thing (twice- the first time was when I got all depressed about Megan Fox looking like she was never even pregnant).  

Duh!  My peeps were right...what was I thinking?  I am home all day with a toddler and an infant.  I take care of the house, feed my two children a total of about 13 times a day, cook dinner every night, make lunches AND workout 6 days a week.  Plus, I am going to be starting a full time job again soon (where I will find the time for everything, I do not know- another story for another time) Anyway,  I think I'm doing alright!

I started thinking of all the celebrities who I actually really like that have kids and maybe they have nannies or whatever, but they take care of their bodies in a healthy way and also take care of their kids.  

My top two favorites are: 
  • Jennifer Garner (for obvious reason, how can you not love her?) 
  • Hilary Duff (don't ask me why- I have a weird obsession with her.  I follow her on Twitter and Instagram and she just seems totally normal and in love with her kid.  I also like her style and she does Piloxing which I really want to try!)
I feel like they both set really good examples of moms being good to their bodies and their children at the same time.  They don't feel the need to have a baby, and be back in a size 0 in 2 weeks.  Amen to that! Those are the types of people I want as an example.  

I don't want my daughter growing up staring at airbrushed magazine covers thinking that's how she needs to look like I did.  Today during my yoga class she asked why I was exercising.  "To be strong" I said. "Ohhh to be strong Mommy" and showed me her guns and best strong girl face :) 

I want to set a good example for my daughter.  Next time I get down about not having the perfect post baby body I will remember what I am trying to instill in her:  Be healthy, Be strong, Be active, Be happy.  









5 comments:

  1. You are amazing, wonderful, and inspiring. I love reading your blog and can't wait for the next 6FIT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing, Katrina. What a great post. And when you figure out how to "find time for everything," PLEASE SHARE! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC- I am pretty sure I need at least 10 more hours in my day :)

      Delete
  3. Your amazing and very intelligent. I could learn from you. Keep writing I need the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete