Tuesday, March 19, 2013

How DanceFIT Studio Changed My Life...No, I'm Not Being Dramatic

Hello Friends!

Well, here I am blogging about my amazing experience with DanceFIT Studio.  I know, I know I talk about this studio all the time.  How can I not?  It has literally changed my life.  I am so excited to be the new Spokesmodel for this spring's Remote 6FIT program!  We start April 21st-- I hope you will join me!  This means, of course that you will be hearing a lot more from me this spring :)

Let me just give a brief (or knowing me, not so brief) background about myself:  I grew up west of Boston, went to college in Boston and lived/worked in the city for my whole 20's.  As far as fitness goes, I walked everywhere and had a membership to a gym that I paid $50 a month for and never went.  I did a lot of yoyo dieting, and at those times I would pick up running or hit the gym hard for a couple weeks and that was it.  I met my husband when we were both living in South Boston, got married and "settled in"... ie: we ate a lot, we drank a lot, we didn't exercise.  When I got pregnant with my daughter, I was careful about what I ate - organic everything, not too many sweets, etc.  I didn't, however do any sort of exercise.  When Caoimhe was about 10 months old I FINALLY decided enough was enough...it's time to get moving.  I saw a Daily Candy deal for Virtual DanceFIT Studio classes and I was sold.  I started taking classes a few nights a week, huffing and puffing in my dining room while my husband encouraged me from the next room.  I kept going, I kept getting stronger...I was hooked!  A year and a half later, 2 babies and countless classes I am about to embark on my 4th 6FIT.  I thought I knew a lot about healthy eating - less calories, less fat, more veggies.  I was terribly wrong.  6FIT has taught me that I don't even need to count calories.  All I need to do is eat 6 serving of fruits and veggies a day (the more veggies, the better), eat whole grains, stay away from processed foods, eat real food, cook and bake yourself, eat less meat- the less feet, the better :) Drink water, drink water, drink water!  Remember the 80/20 rule.  Do not deprive yourself. Last, but not least- SLEEP.  Having a 2 year old who is a terrible sleeper and a 6 month old who wants to hang with Mommy at 2AM is not conducive to much sleep, but I try really hard!  


Some things that have changed in my food regiment since I first started at DanceFIT and since my first 6FIT...

  • I eat breakfast every day.
  • I start my day off by filling my water bottle and trying to drink 24oz before 10AM
  • I eat/drink very little dairy 
  • I eat roasted veggies instead of french fries 
  • I eat kale.  A lot of it
  • I do not drink soda, juice or flavored water
  • I drink green and purple smoothies.  So does my 2 year old.  
  • I cook for my family from scratch (on most nights...)
  • When we get takeout, which is usually once a week, I get a salad and then load up that salad with more mixed greens.  I aim for 3 cups of mixed greens in every salad. 
  • I could go vegetarian if I wanted to, but I choose not to because then I would be making 3 meals a night. 
  • I have a slice of cake or a cookie or ice cream if I want to.  I am able to do this without going overboard because of the way I eat the other 80% of the time.   
I have some goals for myself entering into my 4th 6FIT.  Here we go...
  • GET OUTSIDE! It's spring and I have no excuse. 
  • Disconnect.  I will admit, I am obsessed with being connected to technology at all times.  I literally fall asleep checking Facebook, Twitter, Email, Instagram or texting.  I am going to put my phone (and computer and iPad) away at least 1 hour before I go to bed.  My daughter isn't allowed to play on the iPad or our phones before bed, why should I?
  • Get Organized.  I have always been a very organized person.  Until I had kids and everything just unraveled.  With any luck, I will be starting a new full time job at some point during this 6FIT session and I will need to have weekly lunches and dinners planned to a T if I ever want to have any sort of balance between work and life.  This is going to be a huge struggle for me.  I will need some help and encouragement (tips are much appreciated)!
  • Stretch.  For some reason certain parts of my body refuse to be flexible.  I am working hard at stretches, and I am going to make it a major focus this spring.  
My fitness regiment has gone from practically nonexistent to working out at least 6 times a week, but often it is more.  I look forward to attending Virtual classes with friends I have made through DanceFIT.  Not only do they offer me encouragement, but they are all genuinely nice, down to earth people.  Speaking of nice people...the DanceFIT instructors are amazing.  They never judge, they always encourage and motivate, they never criticize, but offer suggestions on better posture, better form, etc.  They strive to make you better and stronger. You CAN do that last burpee!
My Virtual "studio" is the spare bedroom.  It is filled with toys, laundry that needs to be folded, poor lighting and an unflattering mirror that I am forced to watch myself workout in front of.  But, it's private and I can workout in peace (as much peace as you can get with 2 kids).  My "barre" is a dresser and I do tricep dips on the edge of the bed.  I have 2 mats, 2lb weights, a resistance band, some snazzy barre shoes, my water bottle and my computer, of course.


Lately, my days have been filled with full time mommy duties, full time job hunting/interviewing, hanging with my hubby and focusing on my health and wellness. In the little spare time that I do have, I love to party plan and I love photography. Although I love to travel... I am a homebody.  I love to be with my family.  Movie and a glass of wine at home?  Perfect!

So, in closing I just want to say thank you to all the wonderful people I have met through my DanceFIT experience over the past year and 1/2.  They have taught me not to judge- myself or others, they have taught me that we are not dieting, we are getting stronger and healthier, they have taught me that it's OK to have a bad day, and it's OK to let other people know.  They offer words of encouragement and motivation to help me stay committed to a workout later that night...when 8:30PM seems so far away, I know that there are 8 other people who will be sweating it out with me.  Just 10 more plies? It's OK, my friends legs are shaking just as much as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment