Monday, March 4, 2013

6FIT Success with DanceFIT Studio

Many of you have heard me talk about DanceFIT Studio on my Facebook updates, Twitter feed, word of mouth, etc.  I know, I know...I don't shut up about it.  For good reason though.  DanceFIT has literally changed my life.

I started taking Virtual DanceFIT classes via Skype over a year ago after I bought a Daily Candy Promotion.  It was completely out of my comfort zone...classes that is.  I have 100% uncoordinated and always have been.  I figured taking a class via Skype wouldn't be so bad...no one but the instructor could see me and hopefully she wouldn't laugh too hard if I fell on my ass trying to channel my inner ballerina.  When I signed on for my first class, the wonderful owner of DanceFIT Studio and Boston's #1 Barre Instructor, Gina Fay welcomed me and was seriously encouraging and motivating the entire class.  I was hooked.  A few months later, I decided enough was enough...I needed to get serious about dropping the baby weight and signed up for my first (of 3) 6FIT through DanceFIT:  6 weeks of clean eating, daily exercise, sleep and water.  Duh.  I lost 5 pounds and multiple inches.  I was so excited!  Bye Bye, baby weight!

Yesterday marked the completion of my 3rd 6FIT!  My baby boy is 5 months old and I made a commitment  to myself early on to get my body moving and healthy after he was born.  I am so excited to share that in the past 6 weeks, I lost 5 additional pounds and 11 total inches from my body!  More importantly, I feel SO MUCH BETTER about myself and my body.  At this stage after having my daughter, I felt like crap and was feeling pretty depressed about myself- in a complete rut.

Even though this was my 3rd go with 6FIT (the second time I was pregnant with the little guy), I learned even more valuable health and fitness information.  I tried and realized i LOVED certain foods and committed to more exercise than I ever thought I could possibly do - a) because I have 2 kids and who has the time? and b) because I didn't think I had the energy or the stamina.

I have to give a shout out to the hubby here...without his support, I wouldn't have been able to take so many night classes, double headers, etc.  He knows I am easily distracted and was more than happy to spend some time bonding with and feeding the baby after our 2 year old went to bed so I could take sometimes 2 hours of classes- almost every night of the week.  He encouraged me when I was having a "fat day" and reminded me of where I was at this point after Caoimhe was born.  Although he refused kale, spaghetti squash and roasted veggies, he didn't put up a fuss when I served fish and veggie filled stirfry (as long as it had some meat in it).

Here are a few major food accomplishments I achieved through 6FIT this session:


  • Tofu- Who knew?  My sister gave me the easiest recipe of all.  Slice the drained tofu thin, douse it in tobasco and grill it! 6 minutes on each side.  Delish!  I literally NEVER thought I could enjoy tofu- believe me, I have tried! 
  • Brussel Sprouts- Hello lovely- where have you been all my life!  Now, to be fair, I have tried these before and ehhh not a huge fan, but I have discovered roasting them!  My new favorite comfort food. toss them in olive oil, pepper and cayenne pepper (i also cut up sweet potato, parsnips and a potato) and bake for 40 minutes on 400.  Amazing.  
  • KALE! I have tried and tried and tried again to stomach kale.  But to no avail.  At the beginning of 6FIT I was asked what my least favorite food is...Kale.  The obvious answer.  for the past 6 weeks I have eaten 3 cups of kale AT LEAST  6 times a week.  I sautee it and serve with eggs for breakfast most days, but I have also used it in smoothies (which my daughter loves too-  shhh don't tell her there's kale in there).  
  • Vegetarian Love- really, who needs all that meat when there's roasted veggies, spaghetti squash, delicious salmon and quinoa?  Not me!  However, as I mentioned before...the hubby needs meat content in his dinners, so while we will stick to two legged friends and friends with fins, we will still have meat at dinner...I don't want to be making 3 different meals every night.  
  • Dairy Free-  This is the biggest one for me.  During Dairy Free week, I realized that i was less blah, bloated and blah...especially when I incorporated it back into my diet the following week.  The little guy also had a healthier tummy which is good for everyone.  I didn't realize how many dairy substitutes  there were out there.  I was at Whole Paycheck the other day and there is an entire freezer full of dairy free ice cream.  So that basically had me sold right there.  
Probably the best part (for me anyway) about 6FIT is the motivation.  Motivation, not only from my team, but from everyone who is taking part in 6FIT, including our instructors.  I have said this before, but the DanceFIT community is like no other.  I have had the honor of befriending some amazing people who motivate me and inspire me on a daily basis.  The motivation continues after a 6FIT session is over.  We all have a passion for health and fitness and it has totally brought us together as a fun little 6FIT cult! Haha.  I owe so much to all of them.  

This post is getting entirely too long, but wanted to squeeze in a tidbit about my Virtual DanceFIT classes that I talk so much about.  They are AMAZING!  I am able to workout after the babies go to bed, in my own home, in a class filled with other people like me AND I get to work out with my sister who lives in NYC.  What could be better?  If I need to tend to a child, I go, if I sign up for a class mid morning and have a crying baby or a two year old climbing all over me, that is fine...just hit mute on Skype and away we go! I get my daily workout in either way and always leave class with jello legs and burning arms and abs.  ALWAYS. 

This session might be over, but I am already signed up for 9 (I think) classes, including 2 double headers!  I am going to make a conscious effort to keep my momentum going until the next 6FIT starts.  

6FIT is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.  Are you up for the challenge? 



5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your success, Katrina. You were amazing this session, so dedicated and positive! I loved reading your chart to see what delicious meals you were having and you were constantly motivating me to fit in just a bit more cardio or one more 14-minute workout. Thanks for being such an awesome teammate. :)

    FYI JP Licks has some amazing dairy-free ice creams.
    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole...seriously, right back at you...such an inspiration to me (you already know that haha). I am going to have to hit up JP Licks now!!

      Delete
  2. Katrina! This is so motivating! I love that you blogged about your experience. I am totally curious now, even though I question whether I would have the time or energy to commit to such a rigorous schedule of exercise and eating. Very impressive. You should be really proud of yourself!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! You could totally do it...its not as scary and regimented as it looks :) If you ever want to try a virtual class, let me know...I have a pass you could use!

      Delete
  3. Girl you Rock for real!! Keep up the good work you will definitely inspire. And I love your tips on eating!!

    ReplyDelete