Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Your Journey is Your Journey

Ah!  It's here.  Our last week of 6FIT.  Typically, I get a little anxious this week because I know that by this time next week I will be on my own.  However, for the first time, I feel like I am going to be able to handle this new lifestyle without completely falling off the wagon.  If I do happen to fall off, I have a wonderful group of women who will help to get me back on.  Here we go!

Going into this last week, I wanted to remind you of something that I have been personally battling for a very long time.  I 100% stole the inspirational message below from Gina, but it's a good one for everyone to follow...and it provided me with a good blog topic! Thanks, Gina :)

Your Journey is YOUR journey...


For a very big part of my life, I have been consumed with comparing myself and my life to everyone else around me.  I am talking everything:  Family, occupation, workouts, weight, clothes, houses, towns we all live in....everything.  It is a terrible and unhealthy way to live and it's mentally exhausting.  I have been making a conscious effort over the past few years (especially since I had kids) to really start focusing on all the good things I have in life and everything I have accomplished.  I know a lot of people who will never be happy with what they have, what they look like, what type of house they live in.  They cannot see what I see and I just want to shake them and say "Look at what you have?  Look at your beautiful children, loving husband, amazing family, fabulous friends!"  So, I decided, I don't want to live like that anymore.  I want to be happy with what I have right now while simultaneously pursuing what I want. Does that make sense?




I find that there is a lot of negativity in this world and even though I DEFINITELY have days where I feel down on my luck and nothing is going my way, I try to stay as positive as I can.  Living in a time where Social Media pretty much runs everyone's lives, I see a lot of negative things flying around.  On Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, I post about the following:  My kids and my workouts.  Both of which annoy some people.  That's fine though...if you don't like it, don't read it! I post my workouts not to brag, but to hopefully inspire others to try a new class (which I have!), get out and run, or go for a walk with their kids.  I also find some sort of accountability and accomplishment when I post my workouts.  I am proud of my workouts!  Personally, I think seeing everyone's workouts on Facebook or Twitter is a positive.  Typically, my news feed is filled with MapMyRide, MapMyRun, Runkeeper screenshots, check-ins at the gym on the stairs or into a Virtual class.  Then there are maybe one or two Negative Nellies who post about how annoying it is to see updates about workouts. For a fleeting moment, I feel bad...I don't want to irritate people, but I quickly snap out of it.  I say whatever- hope you're enjoying your couch.

When it comes to 6FIT, there is a certain amount of competition...I prefer to call it motivation.  It's not a vicious competition though, and even if you're not on the same team you are still congratulated and cheered on by other 6FIT members.  That is the beauty of it.  We all want each other to succeed in this journey.  That said, there are days when I see the charts of my 6FIT friends and feel badly that I didn't rack up as many points as someone else or didn't take as many classes...they can do it, why can't I?  I have to tell myself to snap out of it.  I take 8 classes a week on top of other activities, working full time and caring for my family.  I am doing the best I can, and if can't physically manage the triple header I was planning (or double header for that matter), I need to accept that.  If I am burning the candle at both ends, it's not good for anyone.

Moral of the story... Have faith in yourself, in your family and in your life.  You're doing the best you can.  You will get there.  You will get to where you need to be.  Give yourself a break.  Be happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment